HISTORY OF UNION HILL PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH


The Union Hill Primitive Baptist Church was founded in 1911. Its founding fathers were Reverend David Crutcher, Messrs. John Kelly, Ned Burks, Nelson Scruggs, George Craighead, Hardy Kelly, George Douglass, Will Hamlet, Eddie Jasper and Joe Lightford.

From 1911 to 1913, prior to the building of the church, services were held in the home of Reverend and Mrs. Crutcher. In 1913, a building fund was established with a ten dollar donation given by the male members of the church. Reverend and Mrs. Crutcher donated one acre of land for the church site. Materials were purchased and, as was the custom of that day, neighbors donated labor after farm lay-by-time. In the Fall of 1913, the membership was blessed by the completion of the new church facility.

The church's union with Flint Primitive Baptist Association dates back to August 1913. In 1917, the Association became the Consolidated Flint River and Running Water Primitive Baptist Association.

Reverend Crutcher pastored the church until his death in 1924. Under his pastoralship, which was during the early years of growth and development, a Sunday School was organized and grew along with the church.

PASTORALSHIP TIMELINE
1923 - 1926  1927 - 1945  1945 - 1952  1952 - 1964  1964 - 1967  1968 - 1976 
Rev.  B. McCaulley
Rev.  Willis Miller
Rev.  Will Braggs
Rev.  Oscar H. Hamlet
Rev.  Otha D. Battle
Rev.  Percy Boone
1977- Present - Elder Oscar L. Montgomery, Sr.